Join Us as a Partner to Create New Protected Areas
Applications for partnership with Rainforest Trust to create new Protected Areas are reviewed three times per year. Application deadlines are March 1, June 1 and November 1.
Once an application is received, a Rainforest Trust conservation officer will contact you to discuss details and explore partnership opportunities.
Partnership applications should meet the following criteria:
- Clear focus on creating a new Protected Area (i.e., through land purchase, designation as a national park, conversion of logging concessions to reserves, community protection or the expansion of existing Protected Areas)
- Proposed sites must be currently unprotected. Use IUCN’s Protected Planet database to determine if the area is already recognized as protected (category 1-6) before submitting an application
- Recent, verifiable evidence supporting the presence of species assessed as Endangered or Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species within the proposed Protected Area site
- Endorsement from project stakeholders, including local environmental agencies, government officials and especially communities
- The applicant must be an NGO based in the country of the proposed Protected Area site
- Priority is given to proposed sites located within the tropics
- Evidence of an independent and autonomous oversight and management committee (e.g., a non-executive board) if land purchase or leasing is the proposed conservation strategy
Partnership applications should not include:
- Overhead costs (e.g., administration costs or office rent)
- Ecological monitoring or research
- Forest restoration (e.g., tree planting)
- Vehicle purchases other than motorcycles
- International travel
- Environmental education
See here for additional details.
If you are interested in applying to become a partner through the SAVES Challenge, complete the eligibility questionnaire. If you have any questions about the process, email SAVES@RainforestTrust.org to contact a Rainforest Trust conservation officer.
Complete the Eligibility Questionnaire
Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards
Applications for Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Rainforest Trust provides Rapid Protected-Area Feasibility Awards to encourage conservationists and researchers to evaluate important potential sites for creating new Protected Areas. Awards average $5,000.
Successful applications should exhibit clear intent to establish a new Protected Area and one or more of the following:
- Plan to evaluate the presence and abundance of Endangered or Critically Endangered species within unprotected sites
- Efforts to evaluate land ownership of unprotected sites where Endangered or Critically Endangered species are found
- Efforts to negotiate land prices and gauge willingness to sell privately owned land
- Assessments of community and government interest in Protected Area creation
Fill out the Feasibility Award Application
‹ Back to SAVES