Public Relations Coordinator
Rainforest Trust seeks a Public Relations Coordinator to join its Philanthropy Team. Since 1988, Rainforest Trust has been safeguarding imperiled tropical habitats and saving endangered species by establishing protected areas in partnership with local organizations and communities. With our partners, we have protected more than 24.5 million acres of vital habitat across Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Rainforest Trust is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that relies upon the generous support of the public to successfully implement our important conservation action.
The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for building and maintaining a positive reputation and image for Rainforest Trust with the media and other stakeholders. As an important member of the Marketing Team, this position will develop and execute public facing media campaigns, cultivate media relationships, respond to media inquiries, write press releases, prepare FAQs and other documents as needed, coordinate media interviews, prepare senior staff to conduct those interviews, and evaluate and manage risk. S/he will be part of the team that develops key messages for our integrated fundraising campaigns.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Position Rainforest Trust leaders as subject-matter experts on important topics with mainstream and conservation media, including digital, print and broadcast.
- Develop and pitch proactive stories that raise the profile of the organization and its projects, partners and other initiatives in the media.
- Manage inbound requests from the media for information or interviews with Rainforest Trust spokespersons.
- Establish and maintain relationships with conservation and mainstream media, including reporters, editors and producers, to promote Rainforest Trust stories and impact.
- Write press releases and other media communications.
- Prepare Rainforest Trust spokespersons for media interviews, including message development, Q&As and coaching on effective communication tactics.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 8-10 years’ proven track record in media and public relations or a combination of education and/or equivalent experience.
- Ability to run PR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
- Proven track record generating media results.
- A strong news sense and creative approach to developing story ideas.
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills.
- Experience building relationships with media and developing media target lists.
- Excellent writing skills, effective use of language, creativity, and commitment; attention to detail is critical
D.C. Metro/Northern Virginia – Remote
$40,000/year Part-time or Contract
How to Apply:
Please send applications to jobs@RainforestTrust.org. Include a cover letter stating your interest in working for Rainforest Trust and your CV/résumé.
Rainforest Trust is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals, as well as administers any and all personnel actions, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.