Major Gifts Officer
Rainforest Trust is looking to grow its Philanthropy team by hiring an experienced, enthusiastic, articulate, and well-organized fundraising officer who is a passionate conservationist to serve as a Philanthropy Officer.
Rainforest Trust is a highly efficient and effective nonprofit founded in 1988 with the mission to purchase and protect threatened rainforests and tropical habitat to save endangered wildlife through local partnerships and community engagement. Celebrating 27 years of conservation, we have protected 11.5 million acres of tropical forests in 20 countries across more than 100 project sites. Because of our efficiency, we consistently earn Charity Navigator’s top 4-star rating.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate passion for and thorough understanding of Rainforest Trust’s mission, strategy, culture and values.
- Cultivate, steward and manage a portfolio of major supporters.
- Undertake donor communications to individual supporters.
- Possess excellent written, telephone and interpersonal skills.
- Regularly research, identify and seek new funding opportunities.
- Have experience with tracking donor interaction with a donor database like eTapestry.
- Experience with writing fundraising appeals, overseeing recurring gift campaigns, and collaborating on annual reports and donor features is a plus
Detailed Description of Position:
- Ensure the success of fundraising efforts by cultivating current major supporters and identifying new major supporter prospects Actively inform, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors while seeking to upgrade gifts and establish recurring gifts
- Lead in one-to-one solicitation and stewardship communications via telephone calls and email
- Establish and work to meet annual goals for each donor
- Track donor relationships and information with comprehensive and accurate data entry and reporting in donor database
- Help to shape overall strategies to continually increase gifts revenue and program growth
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years experience working in fundraising for an established nonprofit with a proven record of successful solicitation efforts and growing donor relationships; preferred experience in telephone communications.
- Experience with donor tracking and database software, especially eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge.
- Proficiency with MS Office programs, particularly the ability to perform mail merges in Word and advanced abilities with Excel.
- Effective interpersonal skills; excellent written and oral communication.
- Proven expertise in building and maintaining positive relationships with diverse individuals; high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances and asking for money.
- Natural problem-solver who exudes energy and initiative to grow this role to its fullest potential.
- Flexible team player who is able to work independently
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, and able to effectively manage multiple projects and conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve goals as well as meet deadlines.
The candidate will work in our office with 20 staff in Warrenton, Virginia, just 45 minutes west of Washington DC.
How to Apply:
Please email jobs@RainforestTrust.org. Include a cover letter stating your interest to work for Rainforest Trust, your salary aspirations, and your resume.