Donor Relations Officer / Major Gifts Officer
Rainforest Trust seeks an experienced, enthusiastic, and well-organized major gifts officer who is a passionate environmentalist and conservationist to serve as our Donor Relations Officer.
Rainforest Trust is a highly efficient and effective U.S. non-profit founded in 1988 with the mission to purchase and protect threatened rainforests and tropical habitat to save endangered wildlife through community engagement and local partnerships. To date, we have saved more than 16 million acres across 26 countries at 130 project sites with the ambitious goal of protecting 50 million acres by the year 2020. Our great financial efficiency and program effectiveness consistently earn us Charity Navigator’s top 4-star rating.
Detailed Description of Position:
- Cultivate, steward and manage a portfolio of major supporters while establishing relationships and upgrading gifts through personal communications including phone calls, e-mails, letters and in-person meetings
- Identify new major supporter prospects
- Establish and work to meet annual goals for each donor
- Track donor relationships and information with comprehensive and accurate data entry and reporting in donor database
- Regularly research, identify and seek new funding opportunities
- Help to shape overall fundraising strategies to continually increase gift revenue and program growth toward our goal of raising $17 million this year
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the environment, international conservation, and particularly Rainforest Trust’s mission of protecting tropical habitat to save endangered species
- At least two years of experience personally interacting with major supporters and working in fundraising for an established nonprofit
- Effective interpersonal skills – energetic, outgoing and articulate with superior written and oral communication
- Proven expertise in building and maintaining positive donor relationships with diverse individuals and a record of successful solicitation efforts
- High level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal finances and asking for money
- Experience with donor tracking databases, such as eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Natural problem solver with initiative to grow this role to its fullest potential
- Flexible team player with positive attitude
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to effectively manage multiple projects and conflicting priorities in a fast-paced setting
The candidate will work in our central office with 30 staff in Warrenton, Virginia, just 45 minutes west of Washington DC.
How To Apply:
Please send applications to jobs@RainforestTrust.org. Include a cover letter stating your interest to work for Rainforest Trust, your salary aspirations, any specific job requirements, and your resume. Cover letters without salary aspirations will not be considered.