The Controller will serve as the key operational and thought partner to the CFO, with responsibility for the general accounting and reporting operations of the organization. The Controller will design and implement effective internal controls, efficient processes, and manage the staff of the finance team, which currently consists of one additional Staff Accountant. The ideal candidate has experience in fund management for non-profits, has a systems orientation to leverage technology over manual processes, and stellar communications skills for effective collaboration between Teams. They will have a deep appreciation for the need for accuracy, as well as the ability to maintain the confidentiality of information. All positions at Rainforest Trust are hands-on positions; our Directors execute as much as they manage. We hire for a “do whatever it takes” attitude.
We are currently working remotely and will ultimately work in a hybrid manner, partially from home and partially from our Warrenton, VA office.
We will only consider candidates that submit both a resume and cover letter.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the financial operations of the Team including internal controls, transactions processes, reviews, reporting, and reconciliations.
- Performs reconciliations between various technology systems to ensure accurate reporting of economic activity consistently and by deadlines.
- Performs reconciliations of various balance sheet accounts, including cash, accounts receivable, and accrued liabilities.
- Prepares monthly department and project financial reports with a high degree of accuracy.
- Reviews the work of the Accountant for accuracy, and serves as their backup in the event of vacations or vacancies.
- Partner with the CFO in matters related to annual planning, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Provides support to managers with regard to creation and preparation of annual budgets as well as monthly forecasts as needed.
- Prepares all assigned audit-related schedules, analyses, and reconciliations. Ensures readiness for the organization’s year-end audit and fully supports the process.
- Documents policies, procedures, and processes for financial operations
- Focuses on process improvements, including automation of manual tasks.
- Serves as the systems expert for the financial accounting and reporting system, including upgrades or new system implementation.
- Assures that documentation and maintenance of the internal control system is working properly. Initiates and creates adequate controls.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or relevant subject required. MBA preferred.
- 7-10 years progressive experience in the accounting field including at least 2 years non-profit accounting and at least 3 years in a senior or manager role required.
- Familiarity with electronic accounting packages required
- Experience with fund accounting functions in a non-profit organization with demonstrated knowledge of unique financial accounting and reporting requirements of not-for-profit organizations
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word/Excel and familiarity with database concepts. Excel skill level must be demonstrated through the interview process.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties and/or responsibilities may be required. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Since 1988, Rainforest Trust has been safeguarding imperiled tropical habitats and saving endangered species by establishing protected areas in partnership with local organizations and communities. With our partners, we have protected more than 33 million acres of vital habitat across Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Rainforest Trust is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that relies upon the generous support of the public to successfully implement our important conservation action.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Rainforest Trust is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals, as well as administers any and all personnel actions, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to remain in a stationary position at a computer terminal for an extended period.
How to Apply:
Please submit a résumé and cover letter to Melissa Hohimer, email@example.com
Rainforest Trust is an environmental conservation organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. The policy of Rainforest Trust is to provide equal opportunity and access to employment and service. Rainforest Trust shall not discriminate against an individual based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion or creed, national origin, age, citizenship, sex, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or ideology, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability. All Rainforest Trust recruitment, employment, promotion, advancement and similar decisions related to employment shall be made based on job-related criteria and applicable laws (including non-discrimination and government security requirements). Rainforest Trust’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the creativity and applicability of Rainforest Trust’s research and project implementation.