Science and Monitoring Director
Rainforest Trust seeks an experienced conservation professional to lead a team focused on guiding the prioritization of Rainforest Trust’s conservation actions, monitoring Rainforest Trust’s reserve network, and managing Rainforest Trust’s participation in the Key Biodiversity Area partnership. Rainforest Trust is a non-profit organization founded in 1988 that supports the protection of critical habitat for endangered species through local partnership.
This position reports to the Chief Conservation Officer.
The Science and Monitoring Director is responsible for:
- Advance the identification and prioritization of Key Biodiversity Areas to guide Rainforest Trust’s conservation program.
- Review all applications for SAVES Challenge projects before being considered for funding.
- Oversee the monitoring of protected areas established by Rainforest Trust.
- Oversee the development of conservation indicators and metrics.
- Oversee and advance the publication of research based on Rainforest Trust data.
- Represent Rainforest Trust on the KBA Committee.
- Implement a program of engagement in the Red List and Key Biodiversity Area programs, including collaborate with the KBA Technical Working Group to advance the identification, mapping and monitoring of KBAs and support country-level KBA identification.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in conservation science or related field and 10 years related work experience.
- Background in conservation planning and monitoring.
- Experience managing staff to perform various conservation planning and monitoring analyses.
- Strong analytical and research background.
The candidate will work in our central office with 40 staff in Warrenton, Virginia, just 45 minutes west of Washington DC.
How to Apply:
Please send applications to jobs@RainforestTrust.org. Please include a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in working for Rainforest Trust and your salary aspirations, any specific job requirements, and your resume. Cover letters without salary aspirations will not be considered.
In the administration of its employment policies and practices, Rainforest Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, matriculation, political affiliation or genetic information.