Rainforest Trust UK is a British conservation charity (No 1169111) whose mission is to protect threatened rainforests and other tropical habitats for the benefit of endangered species, indigenous communities and the climate.
We work in close partnership with Rainforest Trust in the US, which has been in operation since 1988, and together we have protected over 38 million acres of threatened habitat. Please note that Rainforest Trust UK’s central activity is fundraising and regranting in support of the conservation projects developed by Rainforest Trust in the US.
Rainforest Trust UK is offering an exceptional opportunity for an experienced senior manager to become the Executive Director of one of the fastest-growing conservation charities in the UK. The successful candidate will have considerable experience in fundraising and team management, and a background in conservation.
Please note that Rainforest Trust UK currently runs on a virtual ‘office-at-home’ basis because of the continuing impacts of COVID. When the pandemic situation allows, we may seek to re-establish our office in the London area on a ‘blended working’ basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1 – Leadership and team management
- Lead and inspire the fundraising team (currently three people) on a day-to-day basis.
- Collaborate with the Chair, Board of Trustees and senior staff to develop a long-term strategic fundraising plan for the charity.
- Staff development, training, six-monthly reviews and other HR responsibilities.
- Be responsible for the recruitment and training of new staff members to meet the charity’s long-term goals.
- Represent Rainforest Trust UK’s interests in regular discussions with our US partners on topics such as global fundraising initiatives, shared resources (website, database, donation portals) and other promotional and fundraising issues.
- Lead the charity’s Development Council in the creation of new initiatives.
2 – Fundraising
- Manage and develop his/her own portfolio of major UK donors (high net worth individuals, companies, trusts, foundations, etc.).
- Identify, approach and develop relationships with new high-value donors as part of an overall major donor recruitment plan.
- Coordinate and evaluate the fundraising efforts of his/her team.
- Be the voice of Rainforest Trust UK to the wider public and represent the charity at external events (restrictions dependent).
- Be responsible for the quality and accuracy of the UK charity’s marketing material.
3 – Operational responsibilities
- Have overall responsibility for the finances of the UK charity (bank account, money transfers to the U.S., accounts, audit, donor records, etc.).
- Be responsible for financial planning and forecasting, and managing the charity’s fundraising and staff budgets.
- Attend Rainforest Trust UK Board meetings and provide appropriate information in advance (reports, accounts, agendas, etc.).
- Be responsible for the day-to-day running of the charity (HR, IT, premises, etc.)
- Be the accountable officer with the Charity Commission, HMRC, Companies House and other statutory organisations.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A clear and demonstrable passion for conservation and rainforest protection, and empathy with Rainforest Trust’s mission to save endangered species and fight climate change.
- At least five years’ senior management experience with a conservation charity or similar organisation.
- Considerable experience in managing and growing a successful fundraising team, including identifying which new roles are needed and how staff can be most effectively utilised for the benefit of the charity.
- A demonstrable track record of success in growing a charity’s supporter base and income, including recruitment and retention of high-value donors.
- Excellent organisational ability and project management skills.
- Experience in managing the finances and accounts of a successful charity.
- Excellent copywriting and presentation skills, and a keen eye for detail.
- Experience in dealing with charity donor CRM database systems.
- Working knowledge of Fundraising Regulator and Data Protection / GDPR principles, and other relevant law and best practice guidance.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties and/or responsibilities may be required. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
Please send your CV, and a covering letter explaining why you would be suitable for the role, to UK@rainforesttrust.org, with EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR APPLICATION in the subject line.
Applications close at midnight on Thursday 7th April 2022.
Rainforest Trust UK will acknowledge receipt of your application within two working days, but unfortunately we will not be able to enter into any further correspondence with you about the position before the closing date.
All candidates will be notified whether they will be invited for a first interview by 6.00 pm on Thursday 14th April. First interviews will take place via Zoom before the end of April at a mutually convenient time (afternoon or early evening).
For the rainforests!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Rainforest Trust UK is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity. Our organisation recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals, as well as administers any and all personnel actions, without regard to race, religion, gender, national origin, age, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or political affiliation.